1.28.2010

cloth diapers

I've been asked to share our adventures with cloth diapers, so here goes!

When I was pregnant I was interested in cloth diapers, but we weren't sure if thats the route that we wanted to take or not. There are reasons not to, its different, therefore scary, its messy, its not the norm... plus its just more work. And you have to handle poop.

We got so many diapers from showers and my in-laws that there was no point in not using them. We are getting to the point now though that we are having to buy diapers. Its roughly $70 a month for G's diapers, and once I realized that, I knew it was time to try out the cloth diapers.

They came in today, so I'll post our adventures with them. We only have 4-ish diapers, so we aren't fully converted, mainly just trying to see which brand/styles we like best. They have to be washed several times before being used, so they are currently being washed again. And again.

There were three brands that I wanted to try:
Softbums (good for chunky legged babies)
bumGenius (brand that everyone I know uses)
Fuzzibunz (the one I haven't bought yet)

at the moment the Softbums are our favorites, at least before use. They are two-in-ones... they have a waterproof cover and each one comes with 3 snap in inserts, along with a soaker. So when we change him, the cover is still fine, we just snap in a new insert.

I'll let you know how it goes once we get them on the kiddo!


1 comment:

Rebekah Elliott said...

I'm glad you are figuring all of this out. That way, when it's my turn, you can just tell me what works best! :)